Monday, May 3, 2010

Black Bean Burgers

Black bean burgers for dinner on a Saturday night. What a cruel way to treat my meat eating man after a tough day of shed building.

You know, he is lucky that I cook at all!

He is lucky that I love him and his heart enough to feed him grease free healthy black bean burgers. 

It's not quite like a burger, but it is really tasty. 

Hearty and filling.

Come on. Give it a try. 

Black Bean Burgers adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman:

15 ounce can of black beans
2 green onions, chopped in half
2 cloves garlic
3 mushrooms
1/2 cup of rolled oats, not quick cooking
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg

To a food processor add beans, onion, garlic, oats, spices, and egg and pulse until mixture is combined but still chunky.

Let the mixture rest for a few minutes before forming patties. With wet hands form patties and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
See! It looks just like beef. Let the patties rest before cooking. I put these patties in the fridge for a few hours and then let them come to room temperature before cooking.

Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet. Over medium heat cook the bean burgers until the burgers are browned and firm on each side. About 4 minutes on each side.

Great shot! It was late in the day and if I recall correctly I had two beers before dinner.

But who's counting?

I figure with all the calories I'm giving up by eating a bean patty that a girl deserve a beer or two.

Or three.

And cheese, of course!

I refuse to have a burger without cheese. What is a burger without cheese?

Extra sharp white cheddar. Cheese...my favorite food! Ever! YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment